Monday, October 17, 2005

I had a date. Ok not a real date... just a date with a friend. He was craving seafood so he wanted to go to Red Lobster. I don't eat seafood but figured there would be something on the menu I would eat. So he took me out.

We waited nearly 45 minutes to get a table. When you have to wait they give you a little coaster/pager thing. When your table is ready it lights up and tells you the table is ready. We joked about wanting to take it home. He figured with his luck that if a switch wasn't turned off in after a certain amount of time it would shoot dye out. I figured if anything it would start repeating 'return me'. I was like someone comes over to your house and sits down you bring out the coaster for their drink and its going 'return me... return me'. Their reaction would be great. It became our joke of the night. Every so often one of us would say 'return me'.

I wasn't very hungry so I had them box up the salad I didn't eat. We were getting ready to leave when I looked at the little plates in the middle of the table. I looked at the plates and then my take out box. I mentioned the plates being small enough to fit in my take out box. We started coming up with things to do to get rid of my salad and put the plates in there instead. At first I was thinking just dump the salad on the chair... but then thats just mean. We had a bread basket still on the table so I figured I could dump the salad in the bread basket. The problem is they'd see the salad in the bread basket as soon as they glanced over at the table. I figured we could put the mini menu left on the table in front to block the salad from view.

After coming up with the brilliant plan we decided not to do it. I just couldn't steal. Although I did consider doing it just to humor ourselves but then leaving the plates with the hostess before actually leaving with them. We did leave the menu blocking the bread basket just to see if it would have been well enough hidden. Sure enough when I turned back you couldn't see the bread basket. Our plan totally would have worked.

On the way home we were driving a long when suddenly he goes 'that was a cute little shovel'. I was like 'what? A cute shovel? I didn't see it!' He bursts out laughing and was like there is no shovel. I was talking about the little shuffle you just did to pull your jacket sleeves down. I told him that was too bad because if there was a cute shovel I wanted to turn around and pick it up. He says yeah but if you had it would probably just start saying 'return me.... return me'.

I'm sure the story as I tell it doesn't seem nearly as funny as it was but he and I were laughing constantly about cute shovels and things saying return me.

14 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Those stories that tend not to seems as funny later are some of the best times I have with friends. I love nights like that.

No seafood for you? Allergies, or you just think it's grody? I love it. Now I want some. Heh.

12:27 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

I figured that even though the story wouldn't be as funny written as when it happened I'd post it anyway. Mostly so that in the future when I look back on previous posts I'd read it and be reminded.

I don't like seafood. ICK

12:31 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger lowk said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Glad to hear it. Maybe you'll have the same luck callie an I had. We each married our best friend.

12:45 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

Sounds like you had fun, and fun that other people dont understand is the best kind of fun.

2:50 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

Yup I did have a great time... but we are JUST friends. Won't be more there.

I can definitely agree with that Jessicarabbit!!! :)

11:59 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

I had eaten only a couple hours before... I DID eat there.. got full on chicken fingers and mozza sticks before my ceaser salad came. :)

8:32 AM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Mossy Stone said...

So nice to see someone embracing their inner kleptomaniac...

11:26 AM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Ruvym said...

Stealing is for losers. I remember all the bars my "flatmates" would hit up in London, stealing pint glasses everywhere they went. They amassed a whole collection. Then they expanded their stealing ways, going after car emblems and street signs. I just looked on and thought to myself, "what morons." Would you really have needed those plates? Would they have been worth the risk of being caught and getting embarassed or arrested? I can get how it's all funny, I've done that sort of stealing in my time, but now it just seems stupid. And why do you want plates used by a million people before you?

12:20 PM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

I've actually never done that before. Stolen from a restaurant. I was with people that did but I just never did.

I didn't steal the plates because I just don't have it in me to steal. The funny thing was the way we would have taken them not the actual taking of them. It was fun to plan it... but I didn't and wouldn't have actually taken them.

12:28 PM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Gordy said...

All this and you probably weren't even drinking, knowing you.

Have a great weekend.

4:17 PM, October 21, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

LOL you're right... I wasn't drinkin!

4:22 PM, October 21, 2005  
Blogger Larry said...

Those damn coasters start to beep and vibrate uncontrolably when they get out of range of whatever signal they operate on. I didnt try to steal it just walk to a couple of shops in the same strip mall as the restaurant.

4:17 PM, October 22, 2005  
Anonymous Cora Bullock said...

You know, it actually would be pretty useful if the coaster pagers sounded out an alarm if they went out of range of the signal at the restaurant. Unfortunately, most restaurant pagers don’t do that, so a lot of customers have unwittingly walked out with the pagers and taken them home, haha! This is also why, a few years after this post was first published, restaurant pagers have evolved to join the wireless digital age. There are now cloud applications that involve sending an SMS alert to customers’ cellphones, instead of having them carry around the pagers. The old versions with the pagers can still be pretty useful though, and not just in the restaurants. I read somewhere about a school library employing this very tactic to alert students if a function room they’re waiting for is ready for them.

8:47 AM, July 27, 2012  
Anonymous Pathane Wadler said...

If I remember it right, pagers back then don't have sound alarm so many customers or guests take them home. However, as time passed by, pagers have become digital and even have their own security features. For example, if a pager has been taken away from the vicinity of a restaurant, the pager’s alarm would go off to warn the restaurant employees.

1:23 PM, December 06, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web page counters eXTReMe Tracker