Friday, April 29, 2005

Text Messaging. Instant Messaging. Emailing.

All of these have drawbacks. I think one of the main things is that people can't tell tone of voice. So people read them how they THINK they should be read. Also with text messaging you tend to write as much as you can using the smallest amount of words as possible.

People assume and accuse others of saying things not said. Others can't explain what they mean in the best way possible.
Also messages don't always get received. Of course the sender thinks they have been received simply because the message makes it into their sent box. However even if you put the wrong phone number in there.. one that doesn't exist it will still make it into your sent box.

Other times someone can not respond right away and the sender makes assumptions that they are being ignored. Or that they pissed the person off. Which may not at all be the case.

Today a friend jokingly told me to stop what I was doing. My battery was low though and I turned the phone off and had it in my car charging. Its still there charging but when I went to the store I turned it on to see what messages were sent. I sent one back saying my battery charging.. just as he sent one saying he was just joking. See he thought that because I hadn't replied in a couple hours (normally I reply right away) I had taken his message wrong.

The thing is though that once someone thinks that the other person said/implied or did something wrong they won't change their mind. Even when its explained what was meant.

I guess friendships end that way. Its pretty stupid if you ask me. Of course both have to be willing to TALK things out and not just wait for the other person to feel like talking to them again. Thats IF they really want to get the friendship back.

Oh and sometimes someone says something that to them is a joke. But the person receiving it might have been having a terrible day and may not take it as a joke. The person making the joke though refuses to see what they said might actually have been hurtful and at least call him back to talk it out.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my text is not working right, I still love you and am not ignoring you LOL Call you Sunday at work

6:07 PM, April 29, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

Awww *hugs*

Didn't write that because of you! I know you love me! I love you too!

12:40 AM, April 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto that! Much love! Much love!

26 more days! Woot!

12:33 PM, April 30, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

I was discussing this problem with a friend. We've decided they (whoever "they" are) need to create a sarcasm symbol. It would be most helpful

9:41 PM, May 01, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

You are totally right. Sarcastic symbol would be helpful. It wouldn't completely solve the problem but would definitely help it.

I think people should read everything in an even tone until (by words used) they can tell for sure thats not the tone to use.

9:17 AM, May 02, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

You're right it wouldn't solve things, but it would help a lot. That's the funny thing about words sometimes. The even tone tip is a good idea as well.

6:45 PM, May 02, 2005  
Blogger Danikabur said...

I always try not to judge things badly until I can be sure its meant that way.

I live by the give people the benefit of the doubt idea. Of course sometimes that can backfire but I find I get a lot less angry at things/people that way. :D

11:46 PM, May 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web page counters eXTReMe Tracker