Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Last night I had a date. It was a blind date. I ran into my neighbor at a bar a few months ago. He was with a few of his friends. One of them wanted to meet me so I told my neighbor he could give him my number. I've never really done the blind date thing before and was not really looking forward to it. It's an uncomfortable way to meet someone. I ended up having a pretty good time.

We were able to keep conversation going. Didn't really have any of those awkward silence moments. I'm pretty sure we'll end up going out again in the near future. He seemed to like me so I think he'll call. I think the next time we go out will be better though. Less awkward. Going out with someone you know nothing about is pretty strange and it was hard for me to get comfortable with him. I was really tired also and I don't think that helped with my feeling of the meeting. I got home by 7:45pm and was asleep on my couch by 8pm.

I think I'm also a little scared. Scared of liking someone and then ending up hurt. So I think I was stopping myself from actually liking him. Everytime I'd start to get comfortable in conversation I'd start to think I should be on my guard in case he is like others. I know this is a bad thing and I'm definitely going to work on that; whether its on another date with him or a different guy.

I haven't mentioned this before (I don't think) but I have a new bet going. The bet is with Sticky and C. Basically as usual we were hanging out at the usual place and somehow got on the topic of lent. We were throwing around ideas on what we'd give up for the 40 days of lent.

C said he'd give up insulting people. C is the type of guy that is really quiet. He doesn't say a whole lot but when he does it's usually very funny and usually at someones expense (all in good fun though... he isn't mean).

Sticky figured that in order for it to be fair (just as hard for him as for C) he'd have to give up self gratification and swearing. He also threw in giving up drinking for good measure.

I said I'd give up swearing and sex.

We talked about how hard it would be to give these things up for 40 days. Somehow we decided it was a good idea to make an actual bet out of it. Basically we each bet $100 dollars on it. If we all last the full 40 days we're going to take the hundred dollars we'd each have spent and go out for a nice supper spend the hundred on food and drinks.

Since none of us figure we would make it to 40 days we all decided that the person who lasts longest (but doesn't make it to 40 days) still deserves something. So if two people go out and the third person stays in for two days longer; the two that went out each give $50 to the last one in.

It's going to be a long 40 days (begins March 1). I honestly only give myself a few days. I'm really hoping I can last longer than the guys though.

6 Comments:

Blogger JR said...

Swearing and sex? Well, if you fail and have sex, you may as well break both at once and give a great big "OH DAMN" in the middle of your performance. :P

Good luck to ya!

7:55 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Danikabur said...

Yeah see at least I have that... if I fail in one I might as well fail in both. LOL

7:57 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

This year for Lent I've decided to give up Lent.

I'm pretty sure I can do it.

11:36 PM, February 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Justin and Joe are cracking me up!

Dani, just go with what feels right, with regard to your blind date. I know its difficult when you've been hurt before, but keep in mind he not the same person that hurt you. I know i've sabatoged a few relationships by being way too guarded.
Not sayin' thats what your doing, not at all. Just go with the flow girlfriend!

6:20 AM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm feeling sorry for the Blind Date. What if...mind you...that he turns out to be someone special...Is he "Losing the Bet" worthy..? or in the middle of a special moment he hears " Oh Shit, that just cost me a hundred bucks? Will he believe that this has something to do with a religious ritual? Worse case he won't get lucky for forty days and not know why! What do you do? Stop making dumb ass bets during Lent! Shit! Did that just cost me a hundred F#*@ing dollars? Is that US or Canadian Money? That SOB better call you! Am I helping any here Dani? Now I have to go to Confession or Reconcilliation, anyone know where they have General Absolution or a good drive thru...Toot and Tell.

11:33 AM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger Danikabur said...

I think this will be the first time I've ever given up something for lent. None of us that made the bet are really religious we just were on the topic of how people give something up for 40 days and we tried to figure out things we could/would try give up for that long. lol

I figure that if 'blind date' is special then I'll tell him about the bet. If he isn't understanding about it then he probably isn't special enough to begin with. lol

You're right lawbrat I'm going to just go with the flow. See what happens. I'm going to try not allow other relationships to effect any future ones.

12:03 PM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web page counters eXTReMe Tracker