Thursday, December 15, 2005

I mentioned an Aunt that we never knew about. Here is that story.

During our visit with my grandfather he told my 'mom' that she has a sister. My 'mom' could just barely remember my grandmother being pregnant. She was only a few years old at the time and just remembers that she got fatter but then really quickly wasn't anymore. My grandfather and grandmother weren't together very long after my 'mom' was born and when they split my grandmother started seeing someone. She got pregnant but already had two kids and didn't think she could take care of a third. She decided to give her up for adoption.

As soon as my 'mom' found this out she searched for her. It wasn't long before she got in contact with her. About six months later she flew to Calgary to see her. We went down and met her too. Turns out she is a lawyer. She actually lived on the same street as my brother. Talk about co-incidences. Her son and my brother used to play street hockey together.

She has three kids. Two boys and one girl. The same as my 'mom'. In fact one of her sons has the same name as my oldest brother. While there I got a picture of my 'mom', aunt and myself. We all look so much alike.

Unfortunately I haven't spoken to her or seen her since. I got the impression that she thought she was too good for our family. Sometimes I think about her and want to get in touch with her again. I want to meet my cousins (I only met one when I was there). Part of me says forget it though. She didn't seem to want to get to know us and I'm not sure she wants us to know her family.

5 Comments:

Blogger lowk said...

Get in touch dani. You never know where it will lead.But thats the family is.

8:43 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Callie said...

I agree with Lowk. Even if it's just to send Christmas cards, or birthday cards or something. She's a relative, and she doesn't get to pick and choose who she's related to, so she may as well get used to it. :-D

We love you!!

8:52 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Joe said...

I agree. Make the effort. It's always easier to regret the things you did than regret the things you didn't do.

10:58 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger MYSTIC said...

I disagree with everyone. Don't get in touch with them...You could be related to me....TEASING! No you should at least give it a shot. If it works out fine. You never know what is down the road not taken.

2:58 AM, December 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, they don't need to know your mom but the rest of your family is pretty cool. You know what I'm saying so I don't think I'm offending you!

Cause I love you :)

10:22 AM, December 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web page counters eXTReMe Tracker